Drop shot setups and best technique for shorter rods.

Fishing lures and terminal tackle. What works best? How do I use them? New baits?
Ohhbaby44

Drop shot setups and best technique for shorter rods.

Post by Ohhbaby44 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:31 pm

Just wondering what others are using for drop-shotting. Currently I'm using a 7 foot medium light rod with 6lb flourocarbon. Usually a 1/8-1/4 oz weight and 1/0 dropshot hook. My plastic of choice is either a kvd dreamshot or Powerbait ripple shad. I also recently got a 6ft bait casting rod from my dads house that I've been using for my kayak fishing since it's shorter and easier to handle in the smaller space. Anybody use shorter baitcasters for specific techniques?

Steve81

Re: Drop shot setups and best technique for shorter rods.

Post by Steve81 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:05 pm

For nearly all of my drop shooting, I use a Denali Rosewood 7' medium action drop shot rod with a Mitchell Advocet 2500. I like to use 10 lb braid as my main line with 10'-14' floro leader. There are a few plastics that I like but I mostly stick with Whiskey River baits like the 'Lil Longhorn, One Eyed Jack, and a wacky rigged Hoss.

preinbold

Post by preinbold » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:20 pm

I use a Denali Jadewood 7 foot Drop shot rod (awesome rod). 10 lb PowerPro Braid with a 6 foot leader of Trilene XL 100% fluorocarbon. I typically use a size 1 hook either Eagle Claw or Gamagatsu. Favorite baits are Whiskey River One Eyed Jack, and KVD dream shot. If I use a finesse tube like the Whiskey River Bullhead tubes I will use a 1/0-2/0 hook.
Never stop learning!

Dirksy

Post by Dirksy » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:39 pm

Braid on the spinning reels is amazing! So much greater sensitivity. I use the VMC spin shot hooks because they are just so simple to rig up, don't have to worry about your line twisting from a traditional tied drop shot.

MichaelSchirado

Post by MichaelSchirado » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:21 pm

I second the VMC spin shot... super simple and no line twists. I really only started to drop shot last year and can't get over the effectiveness, so may times I tried other finesse presentations that just didn't work when a dropshot would have slayed them. Since I tend to over think most of my presentations, I've decided to stick with the dream shot and just have different size and color options. They've worked, so the confidence factor is pretty high with that bait.

Ohhbaby44

Post by Ohhbaby44 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:58 pm

I think I saw some of the spin shot hooks in walmart clearance. I'm gonna try those out. Thanks.